THE BARNES MANSION
Current Day
One of the oldest and most stately buildings left in Mt. Washington is the current McFarland-Troutman-Proffitt Funeral Home. It was originally an Italianate styled mansion built by H. J. Barns (Barnes) as his residence. H. J. was a master craftsman in many fields, woodworking, masonry, and especially covered bridge building as he and his brother Wm. P. built numerous covered bridges in Kentucky and possibly elsewhere.

The Barnes Family
This is a torn photograph of the Barnes family. Henry J. Barnes is in the first row to the far left. His brother and partner in bridge building and furniture building is William Perry Barnes seated in the first row to the far right
Henry J. Barnes built the two story double-pile four-bay yellow painted weatherboard house across the street. It has an interesting two-tiered front porch and was probably built in the late 1800s.
This photo from around 1915 shows a lovely young couple in a very nice carriage. Behind them sits the Barnes Mansion
The property where the Barnes mansion stood was originally a grist mill, but by 1825 there had been a tavern built at the back part of property where the old turnpike turned. This would have been at what is now the corner of Bardstown Rd. and Highway 44.
The tavern also served as a residence, and by 1840 John Burch (Birch) lived there with his wife Mary. In 1865 after John had passed, H. J. was living in the residence with Mary either renting space or possibly as her caretaker. Probably after her passing, H. J. acquired the property and then started building the mansion in the late 1870’s while he remained living in the old tavern.
The brick used for the one foot thick walls were made in the H. J. Barns Cemetery, which was owned by H.J. at the time until he donated it to the city, where it was then renamed to Mt. Washington Cemetery. A black mason by the name of Bill Thomas accompanied H. J. along with the inside carpentry work. It is unknown who did the iron work, but H. J. was surely capable of completing it himself.
H. J. lived there with his wife Susan until she passed away. He later married Mary Cornell. Along with his wife and children, there was ample room to rent. His brother William and his family lived there for a while and notably Dr. A. C. Overall and his wife lived upstairs. They even conducted a school there for a while.
H. J. passed in 1910 and Mary a few years later. Wade McAfee bought the residence and converted it to a funeral home in the early 20’s and his son’s E. T. and Vernon after him. Continuing to lease rooms upstairs. Gayle Troutman bought it in the 70’s and moved the McFarland Funeral Home there where it is currently owned by Jonathan and Laura Rideout.